Risks of creoline in contact with skin are serious; find out what they are

 Risks of creoline in contact with skin are serious; find out what they are

Lena Fisher

Potentially hazardous and with antibacterial and disinfectant action, creolin is a product generally used for deep cleaning in veterinary and agricultural environments, which have greater contact with bacteria and other infectious agents. In addition, it is used as a solvent in other chemical products and as a poison for pests such as rats.However, the health risks of creolin are high, because the substance in its "pure" state has high corrosive power, i.e., in contact with the skin of people or animals, it can cause severe burns and other serious complications.

See also: Learn about the most common allergies and how to take care of the symptoms

Risks of creolin for the skin

At the end of March this year, a group of freshmen students at a university in Paraná suffered burns after a shower of creoline given by the veterans. As a result, the victims suffered first and second degree injuries, and one of them fainted from inhaling the substance. Fortunately, no one had to be hospitalized. Another case that occurred at the beginning of the pandemic was the false news that was spread by the pandemic.spread about the effectiveness of creolin as a drug against Covid-19, that generated national repercussion to reinforce the risks of the product.

News like this shows that the population's lack of awareness and knowledge can cost the life of one or more individuals. Irresponsible handling of chemical agents such as creoline can cause death, especially if the product is ingested. The reason is that creoline is a kind of acid that deteriorates the mucous membranes and the skin. Caroline Pereira, dermatologist, mentions other risks ofcreoline:

  • Nausea, vomiting, and fainting if inhaled.
  • Depending on the time of contact with the respiratory tract, it can cause problems in the heart, liver, and kidneys.
  • Burns of various degrees according to the time of contact with the skin.
  • Internal damage to mucous membranes and organs if ingested. In severe cases of intoxication and burns, it can lead to death.
  • In contact with the eyes, it can cause corneal damage capable of leading to blindness.

How to avoid the health risks of the substance

In principle, the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) is indispensable, especially if contact with the substance is frequent. however, if exposure to the component is accidental, "it is recommended to immediately wash the region with saline solution or running water", recommends Caroline. if ingestion occurs, go urgently to the doctor and do not take any medication on your own. finally, it isIt is important to store chemicals and harmful products in safe places, away from pets and children.

Source: Caroline Pereira (@dracarolinepereira), dermatologist at the Ministry of Health and Fiocruz Bahia.

Lena Fisher

Lena Fisher is a wellness enthusiast, certified nutritionist, and author of the popular health and well-being blog. With over a decade of experience in the field of nutrition and health coaching, Lena has dedicated her career to helping people achieve their optimal health and live their best life possible. Her passion for wellness has led her to explore various approaches to achieving overall health, including diet, exercise, and mindfulness practices. Lena's blog is a culmination of her years of research, experience, and personal journey towards finding balance and well-being. Her mission is to inspire and empower others to make positive changes in their lives and embrace a healthy lifestyle. When she's not writing or coaching clients, you can find Lena practicing yoga, hiking the trails, or experimenting with new healthy recipes in the kitchen.